I've got a Nokia 8290, which has an integrated modem. I decided I wanted
to be able to use this modem for wireless 'net access. So, I set it up. :)

I'm using a VAIO PCG-F390 for my notebook. With the directions below, I
was able to bring a link up to the Internet over my phone. First time I
tried, I ended up with 5000ms ping times.. I asked the IRDA mailing list,
they said to turn the 'FAST_RR' config option on, I did, now I get <1000ms
pings. Still slow (9600 connect), but heck, who cares? Sure beats the
display you get for 'Wireless Web' :)

Also note that VoiceStream (my phone provider) does sell an option called
DataStream, which adds a bunch of data-only minutes, and gives you the
ability to receive faxes / data calls to your modem. But, if you don't
have this option, you can still make calls -- the minutes just get
subtracted like voice calls. That is _very_ nice!

Directions to set it up:

http://www.natecarlson.com/linux/vaio-infrared.html

(Once you have the infrared link up, you can also do nice things like copy
phonebook entries to/from your phone -- very handy for making backups, or
for switching phone models.)