I have spent a lot of time on Reiser, XFS, and more recently Ext3. JFS and
I never got along under AIX so I didn't bother w/ the Linux port..

Unless you have specific needs for features in Reiser, XFS, or JFS I'd
suggest you stick w/ Ext3. The reasoning is quite simple:

- Its evolutionary and a good example of "KISS"..
- Its the default filesystem for RH 7.2 (Roswell II beta at the moment).
  And RH has invested tons of QA resources and testing to make sure it
  is rock solid.
- It maintains an easy path to switch back to Ext2 and the complete suite
  of tools is available and well known.

With that said, I have found XFS to be the best of all worlds for ~me~.
SGI has provided a pretty complete set of tools, 1.0.1 has been nothing but
a pleasure for me and I've stressed it quite a bit. I've used XFS on
desktops, servers (news, mail), and my laptop.. I've used it under IRIX
for more years than I can remember, etc.

I always ended up with one issue or another with Reiser. First it was
mostly performance, then NFS, then lack of tools, etc.

Reiser definatly has some nice ideas to bring to the table but its not
nearly as mature or well-defined as XFS or JFS.

I think what'll eventually pan out is Ext3/Reiser on the desktop and
XFS/JFS in the datacenter. Until Reiser 4 at least when Hans says he'll
take a lot of the lessons learned...

I have to admit Reiser seems well aware of many areas of weakness and has
publically stated he admires certain features of (namely) XFS... and I
think SGI, if they still have the critical mass, will surely address XFS's
weaknesses in that time period as well.

My current hope is the XFS bloody-big-patch (its not that invasive, just
lots of new code) is somehow wrangled into the 2.4 series... wishful
thinking maybe. <shrug>

Take care, -Ali

--
GPG/PGP  53F7FF5F :: 6662 5087 119D 8D18 8501  8A8D C583 97B6 53F7 FF5F