Jay Kline <jay at slushpupie.com> wrote:

> The only advantage I see to ReiserFS is that it seems to be used more.

...and therefore debugged more.

My brother ran into some big trouble using SGI's XFS-enabled version of
RedHat, though I think he may not have had an up-to-date BIOS on his
system.  I ran into similar trouble with ReiserFS, but that's probably
since I was overclocking.

In both cases, files got mucked up in various ways.  The more interesting
instances were where one file suddenly turned into a different one halfway
through.

I don't think I know anyone who's tried it, but I'd almost suggest going
for ext3.  Last I heard, there's some level of backward/forward
compatibility with ext2, so you might be able to test out ext3, and then
changed..

I think the journal is just a special (possibly hidden) file on the
filesystem.

There are certain benefits to using ext3, such as some of the extra file
attributes (immutable, append-only, etc.) that are currently only
available on ext2/3.

Then again, that might be the worst possible idea ;-)

The other filesystems also use different methods for laying out the actual
data.  ReiserFS is optimized for many, many, many small files.  XFS is
optimized for overall speed.  ReiserFS can trounce anything when you're
dealing with thousands of 30-byte files, but XFS is supposedly more
well-rounded.

ext2 is still the best choice if you need stability.

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   Can atheists get
/ \/ \(_)| ' // ._\  / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__   insurance for acts of