|-----Original Message-----

	Actually CATV stands for "Central Antenna TeleVision", at the time the FLA
(four letter acronym) was coined (70's), there was competition from MATV
(Master Antenna TV), which larger apartment complexes, universities, etc
were using. Coax was used then because it was relatively cheap, weathered
well and had decent signal to noise ratios.

|Coax cable has a serious signal loss, limiting signal integrity
|to small areas.
	Back when I worked in CATV (mid-late 70's) there were line amps put in the
line periodically which would boost the signal.  They ran at about +50db,
versus the +1/-1db that you get at your local set.  The problem wasn't so
much line loss as the loss from splitters.  Every splitter used to cause a
3-7 dB loss (that may have improved over the years, I haven't looked).  This
is why you had lots of lines coming off from one pole--you wanted to get the
most lines for your signal loss.

|Thus, many separate local area networks are assembled and
|really just downloading a satellite signal to your host TV or computer.
|Each download site is, in effect, a hub (bridge). The CATV network is not
|much different from a large, fast Ethernet network.
|
|The advancement for the consumer is that now coax enters your home (or
|office) instead of a phone line. The bandwidth linking you to the rest of
|the world has made a big jump.

	Definitely

	Usually they don't die, they just find another outlet, phones---->cable

|There is no physical reason why other internet access providers can't
|share the coax. And there is ample legal precedent that they should.

	Agreed.  Suddenly AOL had no interest in a legal ruling opening cable up
once they bought/merged with Time-Warner (RoadRunner, etc.)