I just purchased a vaio for that exact purpose.  Its not an Athlon but
it is an 800 Duron and I am pretty impressed with the speed.  The
reinstal disk will reinstal windows and all the sony apps on the shred
drive.  Linux with 802.11b and apm installed without a hitch -- except I
can't run a Duron optimized kernel yet.

Marc