DNS timeouts has been my experience. Remove entries in
your resolve.conf file. If you are DHCP you're out of luck (or
else script the removal). It appears to me that TimeWarner (at
least) will hang on 10.* DNS lookups rather than reply immediately
with no answer. I've had to just live with the problem although
its more like only 5-10 seconds for me.

Just an idea...