So I broke down and bought a new vaio on Friday and have been playing
all weekend.   Everything was working just fine, I had the 802.11b
working in windows and was setting it up in linux.  Since I had to build
a new kernel anyhow I decided to download the latest (2.4.9).  The build
went fine and after the reboot I got some huge error
"FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF00000000" something like that.  So I thought oops I
should've saved a lilo option for my old kernel.  No big deal, I thought
this would give me the perfect opportunity to try my new bootable slack
8.0 cd I just burned.  Plug it in and reboot to a screen full of garbage
-- as far as I can tell it never gets past the bios.  So I try a reboot
holding f2, same result.  Any ideas?  I've tried booting to a boot disk
also with no luck.  I hope I didn't just fry my new toy.  Sure seems
like a bios problem to me -- is there anyway that 2.4.9 did this?

I was having sooo much fun [:-(]
marc