I don't see the need to concern ourselves with the latest M$ "big new
software package." Instead we should focus on integrating the many
outstanding Linux "add-on" software packages into the premier software
system.

Recent technology history is full of M$ stories. Sony capitalized on the
transistor in the late 1950s. Litton capitalized on the microwave oven.
M$ has dominated the desktop PC. But you don't need a desktop for a PC
anymore.

The overall Linux product (including "add-ons") is a compilation of many
contributors. This is both good and bad. The M$ big corporate umbrella
always integrates separate "programs" into a "next big package." (Visual
Basic, Front Page, and Internet Explorer were developed by others then
absorbed by M$.) Linux would benefit by a smoother integration, too.