On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 10:13:38PM -0500, Mike Hicks wrote:
> I just installed Debian woody on a Sun Ultra 30 the other day.  It's going
> to be a backup server.  Currently, I'm in the process of debugging some
> SCSI issues before it returns to service as an Amanda server, and
> apparently Veritas's NetBackup is going to be plopped on there at some
> point.
>
> Anyway, this box happens to have a Creator3D card in it, and I was curious
> as to what must be done to get that working right.  I was having trouble
> getting the Sun mouse (such fragile pieces of junk) to work at all with
> the Xsun server.  I ended up installing XFree86 and plugging in a
> Microsoft serial mouse, but when I tested by running a bare X server, the
> mouse was even more jerky than the standard Sun mouse.  Just curious if
> others have played with this odd combination of stuff..

I've never installed Debian on an Ultra 30 (though I have an
Ultra 2 I'm going to get around to one of these weekends), but I
have on an IPX.  What do you have in you in the mouse section of
your XF86Config? Unfortunately the auto-detection for
mice/keyboard maps isn't very good Sparc Debian, so some fiddling
with the config files is usually necessary. Are you running gpm?
If so you might want to try something like:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "mousesystems"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/gpmdata"
EndSection

If you don't run gpm (or if that doesn't work) try:

Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier  "Mouse0"
        Driver      "mouse"
        Option      "Protocol" "busmouse"
        Option      "Device" "/dev/sunmouse"
EndSection

Have you tested the keyboard under X?  Sometimes there are
problems with the keymap being mixed up.  Also, take a look at
the Debian-sparc list for more info - 1. http://lists.debian.org/ports.html .

--
Jim Crumley                  |    Free Dmitry Sklyarov!
crumley at fields.space.umn.edu |    http://freesklyarov.org/