I don't suppose our camera uses any kind of removable media?  I have a
Cannon that uses compact flash and it was a snap to read the card under
linux.  It has a USB port as well, and I tried that under windows but I
like accessing the card as a regular partition much better.  (Easier to
interface with I think...cp rather than clicking around a stupid
interface!)

The other thing to look at is gPhoto (http://www.gphoto.org).  It has
support for many cameras.

Regarding the distro choice...I'll toss in my $.02 as well.  I love
debian, but would have been rather lost without trying redhat and
mandrake first.  I found I out-grew them and moved to debian, but if I
had to do it again, I'd still start out with redhat or mandrake.

Dave