Some time ago, I mentioned that my celeron 500 had been acting decidedly
pokey since I installed Mandrake 8.1.  I'm still puzzled by this, but I have
a clue now:

I often see kapm-idled eating 30-40+% of CPU when the machine's been idle
for a while.  My suspicion is that this is the cause of my problem.  But I
don't have the foggiest idea what this might mean.  I see no corresponding
heavy hit on disk or network.  Any idea what this bugger does?  Any idea why
it would start to suck so much CPU now?

One thing that might, I suppose, be related, is that I installed 8.1 over an
old red hat and did not update the .kde subdirectory in my home directory.
That's all I can think of.

Any suggestions?

The opinions expressed in this email are solely those of Robert P. Goldman.
They do not represent the opinions or official positions of Honeywell
International.