On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 AIRPLANEIT at aol.com wrote:

> I'm sorry I couldn't "follow your advice" on not booting Windows...someday, I'll get there :)

And a great day that will be for you.  Just keep hacking :-)

> I am now able to mount my windows drive (after realizing I should be calling it hdb1 instead of hdb, even though I didn't remember having a partition on that drive)

In order for anything to exist on a hard drive it must be partitoned,
Winders might have done that for you, but yes, it's there.  Now, what's
this hdb crap?  Winders is a picky (brainless) OS that needs to be on hda1
or Really Bad Things(tm) happen (or in your case, doesn't
happen).  There's a trick at making LILO fake it out but I've seen mixed
results.  When troubleshooting, move it to hda1 and get it working.

> Now I am trying to modify lilo.conf, but no matter what I do with the file, it doesn't change LILO. What gives? I even got bold enough to reboot my computer with lilo.conf as a blank file. I'm pretty sure the reason is that Red Hat 7 is using that cute but worthless graphical "LILO" interface as opposed to the prompt-based LILO.

dumb question- you are editing the lilo.conf as root and then doing a
'lilo -v', right?  Editing the file alone does nothing, you need to re-run
LILO to rebuild the MBR :-)

I missed the first portion of this thread so I may be repeating what
Florin said.  Sorry for the data redundancy, that being the case.

-Brian