On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 07:50:56PM -0500, Marc A. Ohmann wrote:
> > > Some older instalations require /usr to be on / for access during boot but I don't think any current dist requires this.
> >
> > No way /usr is required.
>

> I have /usr on a separate partition with debian, slack8.0 and various slack7's who requires it?  Maybe you can clarify why it would be required?  What gets used from /usr before everything is mounted?

Based on context, I'd say that the previous respondent meant "There
is no way that /usr would be required."  It is one of the most common
directories to be put on a separate partition, right up there with
/home and /var, for two reasons:  Mounting it read-only is good for
security and, since it only changes very rarely, it can be placed on
an infrequent backup cycle.  (If you put /usr/local on a separate
partition and keep your installation media, you shouldn't need to
backup /usr at all.  In theory, at least.)

According to FHS, all binaries needed to boot the system go into
/bin or /sbin and all essential libraries belong in /lib.
Configuration files go in /etc.  Those four directories should (IIRC)
be the only things that are required to be on the root partition.
(Well, and mount points for everything else, but that doesn't really
count.)

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Mr. Slippery