On my home machine, I always make my logfiles in /var/log, group readable for wheel.
This eliminates the headache of having to su as root every time I want to look at a
log file. If you are not comfortable having *all* your logs readable, you can just
set your perms accordingly.

--
Thanks,

Spencer J Sinn