On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 05:16:58PM -0500, Marc A. Ohmann wrote:
> > / -- 200MB -- this is for /boot, /bin, /sbin, and /tmp (/tmp should always
> > be on the / partition, because it may be needed during the boot sequence).
> > you could also leave /home on this drive, if you don't ever plan on doing
> > anything with it.
>
> >From my experience, I would leave /tmp off the root partition so you can mount / ro for further protection from corruption.  I also don't generally like to let any user fill up the / partition as /tmp is usually world writable.

1. Don't create a /tmp partition. Make that disk as swap and use tmpfs.
The relevant /etc/fstab line:
   tmp             /tmp            tmpfs   defaults                0       0
Of course you need kernel 2.4...

2. You can't mount / as ro. There is at least /etc/mtab (which you can
symlink to /proc/mounts but there are still problems with that) and some
other files...

> Some older instalations require /usr to be on / for access during boot but I don't think any current dist requires this.

No way /usr is required.

> I managed to install Slack 3.? on my 386-25 with a 20MB HD from 4.25" floppies.  It used to route my ppp connection and print serve.

Gee, you really have a problem with numbers/sizes do you ? :)... I haven't
seen 4.25" floppies yet...</joke>

florin

--

"If it's not broken, let's fix it till it is."

41A9 2BDE 8E11 F1C5 87A6  03EE 34B3 E075 3B90 DFE4