This config should work great.  Without X the /usr should be large
enough for everything needed.
I would be worried about the /usr/src if there's going to be any
recompiling going on (recommended).  Especially for a 2.4.x kernel.

Maybe reformat the /var drive for..
600MB = /var
200MB = /usr/src

That should do the trick... maybe.

If you want I can recomend a distro for you.  Trustix Secure Linux.

http://www.trustix.org/

Based on RH 6.1 and updated and secured meant to be used as a secure
server.
It will handle the 2.4.x kernel (just download and compile).  But comes
w/ a 2.2.19 version.

It will easily fit in that amount of space.  Even w/ a complete install.
There is a floppy for net install if the ISO is not an option for you.
The current version is 1.5 and is very nice IMHO.
No X even. : )

sim