> According to a post I saw, you can set up conditional commands in your
> .bashrc to work around this.  If it's in non-interactive mode (SFTP) you
> can bypass it.  Any idea how I would do this?  I skimmed the man page on
> bash and didn't ee it in there anywhere.

well, here's how RH 6.2 has the /etc/bashrc file set up (or something like
this... I edited this file several times, and long since forgot what I did
to it):

# are we an interactive shell?
if [ "$PS1" ]; then
    if [ "x`tput kbs`" != "x" ]; then # We can't do this with "dumb"
terminal
        stty erase `tput kbs`
    fi
    case $TERM in
       xterm*)
           PROMPT_COMMAND='echo -ne "\033]0;${USER}@${HOSTNAME}:
           ${PWD}\007"'
           ;;
       *)
           ;;
    esac

    if [ "x$SHLVL" != "x1" ]; then # We're not a login shell
        for i in /etc/profile.d/*.sh; do
            if [ -x $i ]; then
                . $i
            fi