> Sounds like you have VMware configured so that it can't see the local
> host.  There's 4 options when you set up VMware, and I can't for the life
> of me remember the option you need to choose, but if you're set up in
> host-only (I think that's what you're in) you can't even ping your own
> workstation.

  "If you chose to install Samba when you installed VMware Workstation
-- or if you already had Samba configured appropriately on your host --
the guest operating system can share files with the host using the
facilities of the host-only network"  -- VMWARE.com

http://www.vmware.com/support/reference/linux/networking_linux.html

so that doesnt seem to be in...