On Monday 22 October 2001 12:11, you wrote:
> > I'm glad someone brought this up -- I was playing with my 678 over
> > the weekend, and had problems at 38400.  Google tells me that some
> > ISP's say use 38400, some 9600, some other things.  Google did not
> > tell me why this is.  Anybody here have insight into this?
>
> I want an answer to this also.  All Cisco docs for my REAL Cisco tell me
> to use 38400, but it's never worked.  9600 *ALWAYS* works.  What
> gives?  It seems like the standard for equipment is 9600-8-N-1 and it's
> almost guaranteed to work, yet some hardware says to use 38400.
>
> -Brian

Disclaimer: The following is based on some very "vintage" memories and may be
nothing more than pure hogwash at this time. You have been warned. ;-)

Something in the deep dark recesses of my brain said, when I read these
posts, "9600 is the true hardware maximum, everything else is just
compression algorithims."

--
Jack Ungerleider
jack at jacku.com