Hey,

On Sun, 21 Oct 2001, Lorry wrote:

> But can you tell me what a lock file is and why it did that?  I'm
> curious now....

A lockfile will usually only contain the PID of the running process. They
do this specifically to prevent two instances running at once. This is
useful for programs that might have problems with, for example, two
instances writing the configuration files, or in an instant messanger type
thing, have you logged in twice.

When the program shuts down it's supposed to remove the lockfile.
Sometimes if it doens't shut down nicely the lockfile can still be there.
There's lots of ways around that but I guess Everybuddy doesn't use 'em.

-Yaron