Usually when you get password:no
You have a password for root at localhost and you called
mysql withouth the -p option....

Another way to look at it is:

You tried to access such and such database when you are root at localhost but
you didn't specify me to prompt you for a password

Try  mysqladmin -p
Enter your password and viola

On Sunday 21 October 2001 00:10, you wrote:
> I have installed a new version of mysql, and the perl DBI mod, but I am
> getting errors when trying to work with mysqladmin, and when trying to
> install DBD perl mod. I get "access denied for user root at localhost. (using
> password:NO). I have tried to set the password in the past, but I am either
> misunderstanding something, or have inadvertently changed it to something
> that I didn't mean to.
>
> Thanks for your help in advance
>
> Raymond

|\/|ike at GetBent.net