Hi everyone,

I'm doing a 2-hr. staff development session on Mon. for about 30 of the
staff in my school district. My title for the session is "The Internet from
30,000 ft." and it's my goal to improve my colleagues' skills by teaching
them something about how the Internet works instead of merely telling them
exactly where to point and click.

I brought this up a long time ago and got some helpful suggestions. (Thanks
in particular to Phil Mendelsohn and his Internet as computerized phone
system analogy.) I think it woudl be fun to do some myth debunking in this
session, so I'd like to get some additions to the list below if anyone can
think of a good one to add.

I'm going to make a PDF presentation (like the Zope talk I did for the TCLUG
meeting) and I'll let everyone know where to download it if you think you or
someone you know would benefit.

Internet Myths (in no particular order)
==============
* The Internet is so complicated that most people can't be expected to
use it.
* Al Gore invented it. (a cheap shot, I know, but good for a chuckle and
does introduce the general topic of the origin of the Internet)
* The government owns the Internet.
* Internet = WWW
* Email is private communication.
* You can trust anything on the Internet.
* You can't trust anything on the Internet.
* You have to be smart to make a Web site.
* WWW is copyright free.
* Using your credit card online is inherently insecure (or at least more
insecure than using your credit card for non-'net shopping).
* It's OK to use your dog's name as your password.

Anyone have anything to add to the list?

-Tim

--
Tim Wilson      |   Visit Sibley online:   | Check out:
Henry Sibley HS |  http://www.isd197.org   | http://www.zope.com