> Care to put a little info out on this Carl?  I'm finding that Gnome 1.4
> is too bloated and slow for me, so I'm looking to find something that's
> lighter and faster for my little ThinkPad.

here's a slightly old version of my .fvwm2rc file.
http://copper.redchrome.org/~chrome/fvwm2rc

I can't say that FVWM is actually any lighter-weight than say blackbox, or
icewm, or windowmaker. it *is* however, much more customizable than most
(and just as much as any).

I can rearrange/repurpose buttons; design/draw vector-graphic buttons in the
config file (just look at the 'button styles' section of my config file);
define how long it takes to auto-raise; define per-window behavior... and a
lot of other things I don't bother with (bitmapped decorations, scripting
simple forms/dialogs in the config file, and a number of plugins) I know
that other window managers can do many of these things; but I haven't seen
many lightweight ones that are capable of most of these things. (let alone
all of them).

also, FVWM is a very mature and stable codebase. I use Enlightenment at
home, for the sake of eye candy and variety;  but it's entirely too fragile.
(too easy to break the config and leave it unusable). so I use FVWM when I
want to actually get work done.

still, I'll be the first to say that window managers are possibly the most
personal choice that a user makes. everyone needs to choose for themselves
the desktop that works best for them. this is why I resent the people who
say we should only have one desktop for Linux, in order to beat MS... if
that's the price of 'winning', I don't want that 'victory', because I'll be
back to having my user evironment dictated to me.

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer
Real-Time Enterprises