A buddy o' mine just spec'd out a SWEAT MACHINE...
AMD Athlon 1GHz
DDR 512MB RAM
Already has a VooDoo3 AGP (looking at a GeForce 2 though)
AK31A MB (forgot the manufacturer.  Kickass board though) 266MHz FSB.

arg...  Can't find the spec sheet.  Anyway, the point is that you can
build your own for around $500 (roughly).
Man I wish I had $500 right now...  I was drooling when we looked up the
parts on pricewatch.

sim

A P100 is always usefull for something.  Especially w/ 128MB ram.
It'd make an excellent firewall at least.
File server.
Remote X terminal.
Mail server.

Man I love linux...