Earlier versions of Mandrake were based on Redhat, however, they are their
own distro now.  About the only similarity to redhat is the use of RPMs for
package management.

Much of the Mandrake setup is automated so you don't have to dink around
with config files as much, and their desktop environments (both Gnome and
KDE) are very nicely set up with menus that auto update when you install
software using RPMs.  It's very polished too, little things like Aurora (Mac
like startup with Icons that appear when booting), gcc has a nice wrapper
that will highlight warnings and errors with red text when compiling.
Everything just fits together nicely.  8.0 was a good attempt at it, but
contained many bugs.  8.1 has no major showstoppers like 8.0 did, adds many
more features (like "dynamic" which adds icons to your desktop when you plug
in certain USB devices or PCMCIA cards).  It's also the first distro to use
devfs and come with support for ReiserFS, XFS, JFS, and ext3 (of which you
can install using any of these, though it defaults to ext2).

Download it, install it, if you don't like it, I'll give you your money
back.  :)

Jay