On Thu, Oct 18, 2001 at 02:41:46PM -0500, Yaron wrote:
> Then again I don't know LISP, and I only fire up Xemacs when I want to
> edit multiple files or want pretty syntax hilighting and auto intenting.

Editing multiple files in ViM

ViM does support split screen editing of multiple files.  The
multi-window functions are hidden behind the ^W key.

^W-s	Split the current window
^W-_	Maximize the current window
^W-=	Make all windows the same size
^W-w	Switch to the next window
^W-c	Close the current window

:help X_wi for more information

Syntax highlighting in ViM

ViM also has syntax highlighting for many different file formats.  ViM
identifies file syntax by the file extension.

:sy on		Turn on syntax highlighting
:sy off		Turn off syntax highlighting

Syntax highlighting becomes much easier if you use the graphical ViM
interface, gvim or vim -g.  There should be a menu which allows you to
pick the syntax highlighting you want.

Note: These features must be compiled into your copy of ViM.  Some evil
distributions (like RedHat) install a vim-minimal package by default
which doesn't have these awesome features.  If you only have vim-minimal
installed, install vim-enhanced or vim-X11 instead.

Nate

(Hopefully) reducing Emacs use by showing off ViM features.