I haven't actually tried it yet, but gpsdrive looks pretty cool.  Check
out http://freshmeat.net/projects/gpsdrive/

It uses maps downloaded from mapquest.  He says it has been tested with
a Garmin GPS III.  I've got a Garmin Legend that I have been meaning to
try out with this once I get some time!

Dave
--
David Royer <dave at droyer.org>