Hey,

On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Lorry wrote:

> I already have to learn Lisp (and yes, Lisp, not Scheme... can't
> remember who asked that) so I'm not real fond of the idea of having to
> learn emacs on top of that.  I've been using vi for a few years now and

I'm not really an editor zealot. I use VI a hell of a lot more than I use
xemacs, when you get right down to it, and I think knowing how to use VI
is really, really important to anyone doing anything with UNIX.

The thing about XEmacs is you really don't need to learn much - the whole
Insert-Mode/Command-Mode thing isn't there, there are pulldown menus and
you can use the mouse for cut/paste stuff. Of course, you CAN learn the
leyboard shortcuts. You _can_ go Ctrl-X Ctrl-S to save, but you can also
click on the Save icon or chose File|Save from the menus. My wife's been
using XEmacs for a few years (under Windoze too) and hasn't bothered to
learn ANY keyboard shortcuts, nor needed them apparently.

As for LISP, Emacs and XEmacs pretty much have builtin LISP interperters.
You can totally interact and extend XEmacs with LISP.

Then again I don't know LISP, and I only fire up Xemacs when I want to
edit multiple files or want pretty syntax hilighting and auto intenting.

-Yaron