on 10/8/01 9:23 AM, Nate Carlson at natecars at real-time.com wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Oct 2001, Mike Nielsen wrote:
>> I have a scolastic client that is looking to use an IPTables based firewall.
>> They are also looking for a content filter so the youngsters don't stumble
>> onto smut.  I don't think IPtables has anything like that but I'm sure there
>> is a web proxy or two.  (I searched Freashmeat and founds some) But I am
>> interested if anyone here as implimented any and what you think of them?
>
> Squid. It rules. Never used it to block smut, but I know squid itself
> rocks.  :)

Squid does have a smut list of sorts...
Theres a sight that has a list of URL's of known smut and it is updated
regularly (people request additions via a web form and the sight is added to
the list).  There is an auto update script/cron job IIRC.  If not it is easy
to create.

http://www.hklc.com/squidblock/  - This looks like the best one.
http://web.onda.com.br/orso/  - Doesn't look as good as squidblock.

 ^ Although there are some cool looking utilities for squid there.

all this from Squids FAQ...
http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/FAQ/FAQ-10.html#ss10.12

Also look into Junkbuster.  Very cool.  Blocks add's and can be used in
conjunction w/ Squid for a very nice proxy config.
Junkbuster also handles Cookies, SSL and other stuff...

http://www.junkbusters.com/ht/en/index.html
http://www.waldherr.org/junkbuster/

>> It would be nice to have something that does an auto update of smut
>> sites so I don't have to show some little old lady how to add sites
>> deemed innapropriate

http://www.waldherr.org/junkbuster/update.shtml
For an auto update thingy for junkbuster add sights.

http://www.hklc.com/squidblock/
For squid

HTH,
sim