Here is my plea to the list again. :-)

As I sit around waiting for Sprint to call back, I started to go through my list
of low priority tasks. After buying a Ferrari, was mailman archives.

My last post was about how mailman stores all posts in mbox format(!), yet 1 big
o'file. And pipermail plows through the file to generate the date, thread, raw
and compress raw archives. Not the best design in the world.

My first problem is several of the mailing lists have mbox-es approaching the
magical 2Gb size. The work around of that will be to go reiserfs or ext3 for the
large file support.

The second problem was backing the mbox files up. On a very active list, the
mbox is changing so it's hard to get a clean backup. Don't know if reiserfs or
ext3 have snapshot capabilities or if I have to do lvm or, or, or. But I got
around this by not allow pipermail to run from 2am - 7am so the backup can dump
everything.

So any mailing list packages that are like mailman, but using a relational
database on the backside for archives?

I think that would be idea.

--
Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com>         | Phone : (952)943-8700