I would assume that three other SCSI devices exist,
but the reason for the 4th partition is that Win* and
DOS software for the Zip drive look for and make
their fat partitions on the 4th partition. I assume it
is so they can have an HFS partition somewhere
else, but I don't know (Mac people?). I can format
the 1st partition as ext2 and have two entries in my
fstab (it is my second SCSI device):

/dev/sdb1   /mnt/zip   ext2   noauto,owner  0 0
/dev/sdb4   /mnt/dos/zip   vfat   noauto,owner 0 0

and if I stay with that convention I will get
appropriate errors when I try to mount a disk
in the wrong location for it's format.

HTH,

Troy