On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 05:19:11PM -0500, Bob Tanner wrote:
> How about rsync over ssh, does that cause more of a performance hit?
>
> I'm not apposed to opening up rsync to public release of "stuff" on the server,
> if the desire is there, the performance hit is not too great, etc...

I can't speak to the performance issues because I haven't done
much with rsync servers of my own, but the it sure seems like you
could save a lot of bandwidth.  Its really annoying to download
an iso by ftp and then have the md5 sum not check out.  So then
you have to download the whole thing again.

Plus with rsync, you can do neat things like the Debian
pseudo-image kit [1], which let you put together custom CDs if
you have a local mirror, instead of having to re-download
everything in the form of an image.

  1. http://cdimage.debian.org/~costar/pseudo-image-kit/