Sorry about bringing up an old topic, but its been awhile since I
checked the list. But, I have been doing some webpages lately and
 researching the SE's (search engines).

The problems with search engines is that each one looks at things
differently, rather they use different methods to determine
placement. Its a full time job keeping up with it. Some of these
suggestions are general, mostly SE's are trial and error. But, since
google is mentioned here, I'll try to concentrate a little on that one.

When you do a search in google, they give more relevance to the
search word being in domain name, then the sub-directories, then
the name of the files

www.linux.com would be listed first
www.computer.com/linux/ second
www.computer.com/os/linux.html third
that is if all things were equal.

Its generally been accepted that meta tags are skipped over. But,
sometimes that isnt true either. The robots tag is ignored, but the
robots.txt is not. Google places relevancy on topic. If your title is
linux and you spend more time mentioning FreeBsd, you loose
relevancy.

Rumor has it that the SE's are starting to look at ip address's. If
your domain is virtual, that is you share the ip with 200 other sites,
you loose relevancy. As mentioned in other posts, more relevancy
is given to sites that have the most links to it.

Reviewing the source for mn-linux.org is easy to tell that the meta
tags are not what they could be. SE's will match the title with the
description tag and the body, including the alt tags. In the
description or keywords, any word mentioned more than three
times is considered spam and ignored. Looking at the source the
decription tag is in there twice, thats a no no. Rule of thumb is to
mention your keywords three times in the body. Keywords could
look something like this:

tclug, twin cities, minneapolis, minnesota, mn, linux user groups,
(some engines will sort plural), meetings, redhat help, debian help,
suse, slackware, mandrake, mail list, downloads, linux help, linux
commands, rpms, iso, organization, users, lunix, how to

Then use the keywords at least three times each in some very well
written copy in the body. Like this:

Welcome to TCLUG the Twin Cities Linux User Group. Based in
the Twin Cities, Minneapolis MN, TCLUG provides a group of
volunteers for linux help whether your using RedHat, Mandrake,
SuSE, slackware or other distributions. TCLUG holds meetings
once a month and beer meetings twice a month, or whenever we
get thirsty here in Minneapolis, MN or St. Paul Minnesota. Redhat,
Mandrake, SuSE, slackware all have many versions and we try to
give linux help with commands, installing and general how to
information. We hold the InstallFest (meetings where we help you
install linux) in and around the Twin Cities, Minneapolis, MN.

I think you getting the point, be creative with the copy so you can
get the keywords mentioned three times.

To help with keywords go here, type in linux for the search and you
will get the most used search words and phrases for linux:

http://inventory.goto.com/d/searchinventory/suggestion/

Do this will all the pages, use different decriptions and keywords on
each page, but at the sametime use the keywords from the main
page, or index page. To get a search for Minnesota to work, add
Minnesota to the title. Also put the title in the description, that
helps sometimes.

You might also try this site for a in-depth meeting held for search
engines:

http://www.infonortics.com/searchengines/sh01/slides-
01/sh01pro.html

For all I know, all the this info may change tomorrow, heck, it may
have changed yesterday. When it comes to search engines, trial
and error and lot of good luck is needed.

Hope this helps,
Bob