On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 09:40:18PM -0500, tim lupfer wrote:
> I finally decided, just today, that I am sick of typing papers in
> emacs and then importing them into lyx for printing purposes. Being of
> an indolent nature, does anyone out there know of an easy way that I
> could print these via enscript/a2ps/pr/[your choice] in the following
> format: double spaced, with a variable width font, and page
> numbers. The first person to tell me to read a man page will be forced
> to install windows 95 ;)

Well to answer your question directly:
enscript -s12 -f'Times-Roman12' --header='|Page $%' filename
  -s12 -skips 12 points between lines
  -f'Times-Roman12' - set the font to 12 point Times-Roman
  --header='|Page $%' - puts the page number centered on the top
    of the page
And for more details, read the man page :).

But I really think you should take the plunge and learn LaTeX.
The output you get from LaTeX will look much nicer than you get
from enscript/a2ps/pr and kind of like Perl, doing simple things
in LateX is simple.  For a simple paper like you describe here,
you would only need a few lines of LaTeX commands on the top of
the paper, the body of the paper would remain essentially
unchanged, and a couple of lines of LaTeX commands on the bottom.
If all you ever want to do is the same simple paper, those LaTeX
lines would never have to change, but if ever want to do anything
fancier with LaTeX you are ready. Plus, I hear that Emacs has a
nice LaTeX mode (I'm a vim guy myself).