|-----Original Message-----

Did a search of O'Reilly's Unix CD Bookshelf version of Learning the vi
editor (6th Edition), and it doesn't have anything.  Troy's idea was what
came to my mind initially, the other possibility is when you first load a
file it tells you the total number of characters and lines.  The average
word is 5 characters long, so you could do a quick calculation on that :(