> And someone wanted to know what was so hard about ./configure etc...?
> Alot compared to a double click. No it's not hard to do that once you
> know how, but I guarantee that you'll never get my sister to do that.
> The very first thing out of her mouth will be "why can't I just double
> click on it?" If we want linux to be used out there among the masses it
> will have to be that easy, plain and simple. The IT person certainly
> should know how to do it, but you'll never get a 7th grade teacher who
> only cares about checking her email and surfing the web to do that.

Why can't you double click? Because it's Linux, not windows or Mac. (Some
file managers can sorda handle it, but let's not go there...)

As it's not Windows or Mac, things are done differently. If linux is going
to be reduced to double clicking, maybe we don't want the masses swarming
to linux. GUI interface wasn't what brought me to Linux.

The point is, it's not hard. No harder than installing a program under
DOS. Not all that much harder than installing a program under windows. You
just have to use a different input device.

Moving someone from Windows/Mac to Linux will have to reflect the change
somewhere, else is there really a point in having different operating
systems? If you want Linux to behave like windows or mac, run windows or
mac. I want Linux to behave like Linux myself. Actually, I want it to
behave like Debian, which is why I run Debian. :)

Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://www.ringworld.org
"We can learn much more from wise words, little
from wisecracks and less from wise guys."
--William Arthur Ward