Oh come on guys your all missing the point here I think. Of course
pre-packaged Loki demos are for promotion. Keep in mind these guys are
basically bankrupt, and a desperate company will do desperate things
(remember when amazon was only a bookstore???). It also wouldn't
surprise me if ximian is adding things like vmware, codeweavers etc..
because of financial reasons (VC's like to see progress beyond code they
can't read I think).

And someone wanted to know what was so hard about ./configure etc...?
Alot compared to a double click. No it's not hard to do that once you
know how, but I guarantee that you'll never get my sister to do that.
The very first thing out of her mouth will be "why can't I just double
click on it?" If we want linux to be used out there among the masses it
will have to be that easy, plain and simple. The IT person certainly
should know how to do it, but you'll never get a 7th grade teacher who
only cares about checking her email and surfing the web to do that.

Yes I'm an IT person, yes I know how to configure and make, and 9 out of
10 times I'll choose an rpm over doing that. Why? 2 reasons, 1) I'm
still relatively new to linux and 2) I'm LAZY :->

To me it's kind of like cooking. Sure I can spend time in the kitchen
and cook something, but my girlfriend is much much better at it than I,
and it tastes better.

Just my opinion, not a flame...

Doug

On Tue, 2001-10-02 at 19:13, phil at rephil.org wrote:

    On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 07:02:27PM -0500, Scott M. Dier wrote:
    > On Tue, 2001-10-02 at 17:35, steve wrote:
    > > Zibby, deep breaths, good air in, bad air out...repeat.  Sit back, do
    > > this four thousand, two hundred and sixteen times.   You will feel
    >
    > It's nice to have the bleeding edge packaged, but many package
    > developers are deciding to stay away from bleeding edge because of the
    > enabling of 'user who cant debug' to use their packages.  Theres some
    > sort of feeling that 'oh, its packaged! it has to be stable, featurful,
    > and not break my system or im going to go kill them for doing such a
    > horrible thing to me and MY MACHINE'
    >
    > this is a true threat to package developers.

    Users have long been considered one of the top threats to developers.

    --
    I used to like HP before computers, and once I even liked Compaq,
    but I liked DEC better than HP and Compaq put together.