On Tue, Oct 02, 2001 at 10:49:47AM -0500, Ben Stallings wrote:
> Hi, folks.  My laptop has a hot-swappable drive bay that accommodates a
> CD-ROM, DVD player, SuperDisk floppy drive, or second battery.  Linux
> recognizes each of these as /dev/hdc.
>
> Here's my problem... if I have the CD-ROM (or DVD) drive in the bay at
> startup and then put in the floppy drive later, I can't mount it RW because
> hdc definited itself at startup as read-only.  The only way I've found to
> redefine hdc as writeable is to restart linux with the floppy drive in the
> bay.  Is there a better way?

1. Do a
      ls -l /dev/hdc

   if it doesn't look like
      brw-rw----    1 root     disk      22,   0 Aug  8 11:05 /dev/hdc

   do a
      chmod 660 /dev/hdc

2. What linux distribution are you using, what kernel (uname -a)

florin

--

"If it's not broken, let's fix it till it is."

41A9 2BDE 8E11 F1C5 87A6  03EE 34B3 E075 3B90 DFE4