In my ongoing search for the perfect ISP, I chose to
go with TC Internet, mostly based on price.

This appears to have been a mistake.

I changed my configuration and was able to connect
fine.

But when I tried to access linuxtoday.com, nothing
returned.  It said host contacted waiting for reply
and then sat there.  I stopped it after 30 seconds or
so.

I ping -c 2 and it gets 100% packet loss.
But it does show the ip address of linuxtoday.
So it must be resolving it.

I try the star tibune site.  It starts to load, I get
the banner but then the load steadily slows and the
page never shows up.  I hit the stop button and still
nothing.  Then when I try to move to a different site,
the star tib page shows up and finishes loading.

Other sites like google and amazon are fine.
They come back fast.

So I switch back to my earthlink account.
Everything is fine.  All sites come back normally.

Back to tcinternet.  Same problems.
I try konqueror instead of netscape (4.76 I think).
Same problems.

Add'l info:
Redhat 7.1 is the client.
I use IP masquerading.
Debian 2.2 on the dial-up machine.

This has been a steady problem since last thursday.

I have both earthlink and tcinternet dns servers
in /etc/resolv.conf.

I have identical resolv.conf files on all machines on
my LAN.

If you have accessible nameservers setup, how
can some sites work fine but others don't?

I've been using Linux for dial-up since 1933.
I've never had a problem like this.
If I can connect, everything else falls in place.

I'd like to drop tcinternet and get a full refund.
But having supported users in some capacity over the
last 13 years, I don't want to go off half-cocked.

No mention of supporting Linux on their web page.
I'll probably give them an anuerism if I mention
Linux let alone IP Masquerading.

And I only get voice-mail when I call.
I emailed Friday morning with no response.
I called and left messsages Friday afternoon and this
morning.  Still nothing.

If anyone can shed some light on this, I would really
appreciate it.

Thanks,

Paul

=====
Paul Rech
pauljrech at acm.org pauljrech at yahoo.com
651-430-9935 hm 651-246-6823 cell

"The instructions said "Win95 or better required". So I installed Linux"