On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Brian wrote:

> I purchased a new DVD drive last week for my computer.  I spent this
> weekend trying to watch DVDs.  I'm posting this because I laugh at those
> who say Windows is simpler to use than linux.

Hmm.  Afraid I had opposite experiences.

The copy of WinDVD that came with my laptop worked great.  Dropped the DVD
in, and I was watching Outlaw Star immediately.

The copy of OMS I downloaded tended to segfault (even when compiled for my
system).  Xine would show me the first frame of the movie and not proceed
from there.  MPlayer would finally let me actually watch it, but I
couldn't find the appropriate audio track to switch from Japanese to
English (so I like dubs, cope :).

I'm not willing to make the stretch that DVD playing under Linux sucks and
Windows r00lz or anything.  Those're just the experiences I had with it.
Some people have obviously had better experiences with it than I have.
I'll just keep trying the new releases when they come out and hope LinDVD
gets released sometime this century in the meantime.

> Windows really needs to go away.

Can't disagree there.

--
Michael Vieths