On Mon, 1 Oct 2001, Doug wrote:

> hahahaha that's great! I bought a creative dvd drive about 4 months ago and
> had it blue screen a win2k box so bad it required a reinstall (yes it hosed
> everything somehow). I got it working after playing with winme for about an
> hour and it works good, although I've been wanting to try it on linux but I
> didn't want to somehow royally screw that box up in the process. What drive
> and distro are you using? And how smooth is the video?

I'm using a Afree DVD drive (super generic) and a hacked up version of
Redhat 6.2.  X3.3.6, kernel 2.4.4.  The video is super choppy because
A) my crappy video card and B) my crappy CPU.  It may just be that I'm the
exception not the rule on this (I have a lot of weird hacked libraries on
my system, your results may vary).  One thing that excited me is that the
HOWTO is VERY short considering the "supposed complexity" of DVD and yet
it's damn near idiot proof to get it working.

-Brian