I purchased a new DVD drive last week for my computer.  I spent this
weekend trying to watch DVDs.  I'm posting this because I laugh at those
who say Windows is simpler to use than linux.

Trial #1: Windows.  I decided that since Windows is a "simpler OS" and I
just want to watch a movie I'd set it up in Windows and get the linux
stuff working later (no doubt upgrading libraries and recompiling
kernels).  I have a small (800 MB) Win95 partition on my machine I use
just for stuff I like this.  I install the software and pop in the
DVD.  Gives me some codec errors.  Download the new version of the DVD
software.  Same error.  Their support site is useless.  It keeps telling
me to "go to the support site and download the new codec".  Well, I'm on
the support site and there isn't any download that I can see.  I call up
my Windows loving buddies (they will get their wrath on judgement day) and
they tell me that it's dumb to even try DVD under Win95.  So, I look for
my Win98 disc, not found, I guess I'll install Win2K.  Note the partition
size above.  I install the OS, start the DVD install, "you need at least 5
MB free disk space".  Umm.. what?  Win2K decided to help itself to my hard
drive.  I start going and deleting useless files (WAVs, help files) and
reclaim 30 MB after Win2K complains that I'm removing "precious protected
files that will cause Windows to run incorrectly".  Install the new
version of the DVD software, it tells me that my res and color depth are
set too high.  I set it to 800x600x256.  Same error.  I set it to
640x480x16.  Same error.  Conclusion.. it's my video card, I have to wait
til Monday to find someone to loan me a nicer PCI video card.  Well, I
guess I'll try linux then.....

Trial #2: linux.  I read the DVD HOWTO and grabbed LiViD.  I was already
running a 2.4 kernel so DVD support was there.  I started oms
and.. umm.. started watching my movie.  Less than 10 minutes of work
(downloading, compiling, making popcorn) and DVD is working.  This after
several hours of re-installing Windows and patching the software to no
avail.

Windows really needs to go away.

-Brian