ON Fri, Nov 30, 2001 at 12:14:21AM -0600, Austad, Jay wrote:
> > It's not postfix-specific, but can't you just write a perl
> > script to track
> > message queue and dequeue times in /var/log/maillog based on
> > their unique
> > ID?
>
> What kind of resources is that going to take though?  Preferably, I'd like
> to get all of the info into MRTG or Cricket so I can see trends throughout
> the day and match them up with trading volume on the market and news
> bulletins.  Whatever I have needs to come up with an answer almost
> instantaneously, so analyzing logs is pretty much out of the question.

You're going to have to analyze the log in some fashion since I don't think
Postfix keeps internal counters for such things. A persistent process running
the equivalent of "tail -f" shouldn't require too many resources. Of course
you'd have to check for log rotations, restarts, etc.

There's a user-contributed Postfix statistics script at
http://jimsun.linxnet.com/downloads/pflogsumm-0.9.0.pl, but it's probably
not suitable for your requirements (high-volume, high-resolution).

--
Michael