On Wed, Nov 28, 2001 at 09:54:23AM -0600, Mike Hicks wrote:
> That's cool..  Anyone know of PC motherboards that split off and have
> several PCI buses?  It'd be great to stick slower devices on one bus (ISA
> bus, USB, etc), then faster bits on another (Ethernet, FireWire, IDE
> and/or SCSI).  I guess Apple does something like this on some of their
> machines (my brother's PowerBook, at least).
>
> Then again, maybe there isn't much of an advantage to that..

I just put together an ABIT KT7A-based system last night and, based on
(my memory of) the system diagrams in the manual, it appears to have
something similar to what you describe with one bus (the "north bridge")
handling PCI cards and a separate bus ("south bridge") for the single
ISA slot, PS/2 connector, keyboard, etc.

have already won. - reverius

Innocence is no protection when governments go bad. - Tom Swiss