On Wednesday 28 November 2001 02:57 pm, you wrote:
> I just bought myself a new Handspring.  My first problem is that it came
> with a USB cradle and I want a serial.  New cradles cost $30.  I figure
> there can't be too much difference between the two cradles.  Is there any
> sort of simple hack to make my USB cradle a serial?  I want a serial for
> several reasons, most notably to use it as a VT220 terminal.

Well, the USB cradle's work fine in Linux.

modprove visor
ln -s /dev/ttyUSB1 /dev/pilot

Don't know about using it as a serial terminal that way, but it is just
usb-serial so it should work. More info can be found in your kernel
documentation or http://usbvisor.sourceforge.net

As for a USB <-> serial converter/hack, you're prob better off just plunking
down 30 bucks. I find it handy to have mutiple cradles myself. I have one for
my home box, one for my work box, and just the cable version for my laptop.

--
Andrew S. Zbikowski | http://www.ringworld.org/~zibby
Bender: You just think that robots are machines built by humans to make