johndmiller <john at mn.mediaone.net> wrote:

> I have dguased it, didn't help.  The problem is only when I am running X
> and during the post.  All other times it is fine.  One thought I had was
> there is some "mode" setting in the monitor that is set incorrect when
> X starts or during POST.

Many PC BIOSes these days run the POST screen at a different resolution
than regular text mode so they can get some simple graphics on the screen.

I thought I had asked in a previous message, but I don't see it floating
around.  Is this a digitally-controlled monitor, or is it an old one with
analog dials?  Modern monitors with menus and other doodads will let you
change things on a per video mode basis.  Old ones with analog controls
just have to be set at some happy medium most of the time.

If it _is_ a digitally controlled one, you might try resetting the display
(most have a little recessed button somewhere for that).

Conversely, some monitors need to be explicitly told to save settings for
a particular mode.  Maybe someone was playing with you and reset the
display while you were gone?

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   There's too much blood in