On Tue, Nov 27, 2001 at 10:31:42AM -0600, Eric Stanley wrote:
> This is a question primarily for the admins out there, but anyone may
> respond.
>
> What do you guys/gals user for server class Linux systems?  We almost
> certainly want to stick with Intel processors.  Built in RAID 1
> (mirroring, in case my number is wrong) would be nice and it has to be
> SCSI.  We also definitely want console to serial redirection and fiber
> gigabit ethernet.  Any suggestions as to what to check out and/or
> avoid?

We use Dell Poweredge boxen here.  They've been good to us.  We currently
have a 2500 and a 4400 and are looking to get a few 1550s and a 2550 or
two.  You won't get RAID _and_ gige FX in a 1550 (it's a 1U box so there's
not enough room, IIRC), but they're available in the others.

HTH,

Gabe
Gabe Turner                                             gabe at msi.umn.edu
SGI Origin Systems Administrator,
University of Minnesota Supercomputing Institute
 for Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation         www.msi.umn.edu