On Sun, Nov 25, 2001 at 09:43:41PM -0600, Andy Zbikowski (Zibby) wrote:
> Well, finialy found a bit of time to repartition my laptop (got rid of
> windows so there is more room for debian) so now that I have enough space
> to go from Progeny to Woody I have done so.
>
> But still I have this problem. I can't bet PCMCIA working on anything
> newer than 2.4.2. 2.2.19 works, 2.4.2 works, but I've had no luck
> with 2.4.6, 2.4.9, or 2.4.14.
>
> What I get is:
> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including inva
> lid IO or IRQ parameters
> /lib/modules/2.4.14-k6/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/ds.o:
> init_module: Operation not permitted
> /lib/modules/2.4.14-k6/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/ds.o:
> insmod /lib/modules/2.4.14-k6/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/ds.o failed
> /lib/modules/2.4.14-k6/kernel/drivers/pcmcia/ds.o: insmod 3c574_cs failed
>
> As you can see, I'm using the prepackaged 2.4.14 kernel. But I have
> compiled my own 2.4.2, 2.4.6, and 2.4.9 kernels.
>
> In need of tips, suggestions, etc. Thanks all.

The following quote from an e-mail I got regarding some custom boot
disks for my OmniBook 500 suggests that there was a change in the
pcmcia modules, and that may be what you're on to.  I don't know what
to do about it, but maybe it means that you're not going crazy.

	This looks like a problem with the boot floppies.  I just examined
	that code and I see that it is designed to work with the older
	external pcmcia-cs modules; but the 2.4 kernels I build use the newer
	internal modules.  There is no pcmcia_core module in this
	configuration.

--
I used to like HP before computers, and once I even liked Compaq,
but I liked DEC better than HP and Compaq put together.