I've wondered about this. Occasionally some files will show up as
'read-only' in Emacs even when I have permissions to the file. Why does
this happen?

<snippy>I recently figured out that M-x toggle-read-only exists by
browsing the info pages. What a poor excuse for documentation. Yes, it's
free. It's also darn hard to find the relevant docs.</snippy>

Joshua b. Jore
Minneapolis Ward 3, precinct 10
http://www.greentechnologist.org