On Fri, Nov 23, 2001 at 05:59:52PM -0600, Jared Burns wrote:
> My portable search has brought me to an IBM A30 notebook (the employee
> discount helps a lot ;). It comes with Win98 (better than adding to XP's
> numbers), but I'll want to run Mandrake on it as my primary OS (considering
> dual-boot). Does anyone happen to know if I'll be able to run Mandrake on
> this machine? I'm particularly wondering if I'll be able to get the ATI
> Mobility Radeon up and running OpenGL apps (Quake).
>
> If there's no specific knowledge about this notebook/graphics chip on the
> list, does anyone know where I can look to find out? I've checked
> www.linux-notebook.org with no success.

I was just looking into this myself.
I couldn't find much.  But there were some posts to google about it that you should find if you search on "ati radeon mobility".
Sounded like you could get it going with some tweaking.
Also, sounds like there will be full/more support in the next release of Xfree.

I looked at the Compaq 2700T, the HP N5495 and the A30.
Leaning toward the A30 even though it is a bit more.

Have you laid hands on the A30?  If I don't like the keyboard I'll
hate the laptop.  No matter what the bells and whistles.

I have a Dell Inspirion 7000 with a great keyboard and an Inspiron 7500
with a mediocre keyboard.  Guess which one I'm using even though it has
half the RAM, hard drive and horse power of the other one?

One last thing, where can I sign up for that employee discount.

--
Paul Rech
pauljrech at acm.org
rechpj at bitstream.net